Saturday, September 04, 2010

I welcome the Saab to the 21st century

I've been putting up with a lack of auxiliary-in with my 2005 Saab 92x for 5 years too long. In an effort to remove another pain from my ass, I decided to move to a better solution than a battery-powered wireless FM modulator.

Although it still is not idea, I decided to put in a wired FM modulator that ties directly into the antenna input to the head unit of my Saabaru.

The installation was quite simple. I've removed the head unit before, so most of my time went into finding a power source for the modulator. Luckily, the cigarette lighter was easily accessible and the connector was removable, allowing me to work on connecting the modulator power cables to the cigarette hookup in a more spacious area.

A shot of the modulator already plugged into the stereo's antenna input.



Wiring up the power wasn't very difficult. I soldered the connection to guarantee a quality electrical connection.



The end result leaves a switch just to the side of the driver seat. This is also where the audio cable connects.



As a next step, I'd like to connect a BlueTooth audio module so that all wires can be hidden and the transition is seamless. It just depends on whether the cost is worth the minor increase in convenience in this case.

Wired FM Modulator: Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator (Amazon)

No comments: