Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Rustoleum Epoxied Garage Floor


Rustoleum Epoxied Garage Floor, originally uploaded by Geis.

As I rolled around on the cold cement of my garage floor in an attempt to remove the oil filter from the Triumph, I realized just how disgusting my garage floor truly was. It was at this moment that I created another desirable that would require pursuit before I would be content with the state of the house.

I decided to look into painting the garage floor with an epoxy. After pricing out what seemed to be a pretty reasonable cost for such a perk, I got hard to work. I removed all the random junk sitting around, tore down some shelves from the previous owner, and got to work degreasing and scrubbing the floor. I also tended to some deteriorating cement spots with a vinyl cement filler. This seems to have been worthwhile.

The actual execution of the cement etcher, rinsing, sweeping, drying, and application took about 6 hours or so (although the drying was probably a good hour and 45 minutes in the middle there). While I was applying the epoxy paint, Heather followed and applied the sprinkles (or "jimmies" as she calls them). Although this does not add to the function, it certainly helps cover up imperfections and, in general, just makes the floor look freakin' sweet.

Finally, here is the before picture:
Before shot

And here is the final product:
After shot

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice work. That's what I did on my floor. It holds up surprisingly well considering all the abuse I give it. Much nicer than getting all gritty.